Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Quarter final delight

All things considered PSV is about as good as it could have got for us in the quarter final draw. I wanted to avoid an English team and Valencia if possible so I was happy with the way that it panned out. We were able to beat them 2-0 on agg over the two group matches and I don't see any reason why it should be any different now. Koeman is a competent, if unadventurous coach. He did manage Benfica who put both us and Utd out last season so we must be wary. It won't be a walkover but we have every chance of going through. The fact that Alex and Kone will probably be out makes the task easier. If we do get through it may be Chelsea in the semi. It would be a fitting end to Joses english career if he were to come full circle and get knocked out at the same stage by us in the Champions League. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Of the other matches, I am really looking forward to Roma v Man Ure. I feel that Roma are capable of doing it given their attacking talent. But they also have a soft underbelly and a lack of discipline. So we can expect them to win in Roma but self destruct in Old Toilet with Totti getting himself sent off and Utd going through. Chelsea v Valencia is a tough one to call. It'll probably be Chelsea but it's not beyond Valencia by any means. I fancy Milan to beat Bayern and go through there.

So to Villa park and Aston Villa in the league this Sunday. Villa are down in 13th and don't really have much to play for. I would always expect an O'Neil team to be competent and steady, if unspectacular. Probably won't be a blinding match but we should have enough in our locker to get a 1-0. We beat them 3-1 at home and I would be thrilled if we could manage something similar this time around.

Finally, I'm going over to Anfield on the 31st of March for the Arsenal match and don't have tickets as of yet. If anyone has two spares I would be eternally grateful.

No comments: